Saturday, March 5, 2011

Ebook Piracy, take 2

My previous essay on this topic was very focused on one list published on one blog at one moment in time.

I'm now doing a bit more research on my own. I just went to a very popular torrent site and did a search for "ebook" to see what was in the most demand. One of the things about bittorrent, is that not only do you see how many people are providing files for download ("seeders") but you also see how many are downloading ("leechers").

Here's the top five results of my search, sorted by number of leechers:

Oxford University Press Ebook Pack 652 Books - Sorted - PHC 190 seeders,184 leechers
Cambridge Univ. Press Ebook MEGA Pack - 1193 Ebooks PHC - 156 seeders, 124 leechers
Routledge Ebook Pack 867 Books - 166 seeders, 90 leechers
0Day Scene Ebook Pack Oct.Nov.Dec 2010 PHC - 72 seeders, 66 leechers
University Presses Ebook Pack PHC - 159 seeders, 55 leechers

Every single one of these is a package of textbooks, spread across many subjects. Before we get to any fiction at all, we have to go down to number 18 on the list, which is Lord of the Rings. We have to get down to 22nd on the list to see any fiction at all.

I'll leave it to people who write and sell textbooks to worry about what this means for them. Having been a college student, I know how much of a scam college textbooks can sometimes be, and I don't feel a great deal of sympathy for their publishers. Maybe they can work out a subscription system, where the university pays the publisher for electronic access to the books, and make print copies an 'extra' that are available to students who prefer them.

As for fiction, waaay down the list (35th or so) I found Terry Pratchett's "I Shall Wear Midnight". That was the first new fiction on the list. Six people were leeching. Is that a significant number? I can't say.

But do check out this item: Amazon is selling the hardcover "I Shall Wear Midnight" for $9.43, and the Kindle edition for $9.99.

No comments:

The Write Threesome ©Template Blogger Green by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO