Friday, January 9, 2009

The Wrong Time to Start

Poor Nobilis. Poor, poor Nobilis. The three of us set up this lovely blog and so far he's the only one to post. We've left him all alone. Poor Nobilis.

Perhaps it's time I change that. In his first post to this blog, Nobilis wrote about beginnings and how much he liked them. I'd like to talk about beginnings too, as well as middles and endings. In fact that's the current theme over at my podcast this month. I usually have no problems with beginning a story. In fact, after the last year or so of pounding out a story a week, I've gotten pretty good at getting myself started on a tale. Nothing like a weekly deadline to spur the inspiration.

But this year, I'm having a hard time getting started on certain things, like my involvement in this blog. And that's because I still feel like I'm stuck in the middle of 2008. Yep, we're two weeks into 2009 but I can't shrug off certain projects that had their roots in the beginnings of the previous year. And it's killing me.

I am so ready to be done with 2008 and all its assorted baggage. One project in particular has just about killed me with sudden deadlines and its drop-everything-and-work-on-this-right-now attitude. I won't get into details beyond saying I volunteered to help out with an event and now I sorely wish I hadn't. Oh, and I won't be volunteering for said event ever again.

But because I'm not quite done with this particular project, I'm still stuck at the tale end of 2008 and I'm reluctant to start anything 2009-ish just yet, which is why I've dragged feet to get over here and post on this blog. It just hasn't been the right time yet, you see? I've got deadlines, and oh I've got this project that won't quit, and don't you know I'm in the middle of editing a book that's due out in February, etc., etc., etc.

I've got a million reasons why I shouldn't be stealing time today to sit and start posting to this blog. But I've got one very good reason to do it any way. And that reason is...

It's never the right time to start, and it never will be.

There are some things in life that you do have to wait to start. Like getting married. I wanted to get married the day I met my husband, but we put it off until we'd both finished school first. Or quitting my day job. I hated every day job I ever had, and the last one actually caused me to black out from sheer stress in the ladies room one day. But, finances were tight and I couldn't just walk away from the paycheck. So my husband and I planned out a time-line for when I could leave, and I waited another year and a half before turning in my resignation (one of the happiest days of my life, by the way).

But there are other things that you can never prepare enough for, and so it's never the right time to start on them. Like this blog. I really do need to be working on a story for next week's podcast, and I need to get back to my book edits, and I need to throw more time at that project that I hate so much. But ya know, I signed up for this blog, and I need to get started. If not now, then when? Next month is just as busy, and so is the month after that? So why not start working on this at the wrong time? Why not start right now?

And what about you, dear reader? Is there something you've always wanted to start, but didn't because it was never the right time? Maybe you want to write a book, but don't think you can do that and juggle the J-O-B. Maybe you want to start submitting stories for publication, but you don't because you think you're not good enough yet to get published. Maybe this and maybe that. We've all got things we want to do, but we don't want to start before the time is right. Well I got news for you. There may never be a right time to start. Never. Ever!

But it's better to start at the wrong time than never start at all.

Hmmm, I think maybe 2009 finally showed up at my front door. Time for me to get started on the new year.

No comments:

The Write Threesome ©Template Blogger Green by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO