Friday, January 23, 2009

So, Marscon 2009

So I went to Marscon 2009 last weekend, and am only now starting to recover. That's because I came home on Sunday and immediately had to get back to work on the podcast and the book cover for Future Perfect. But now that I've got those things out the door, here's a few fond memories regarding Marscon.


If you have an author table, bring candy and set it out. People like candy, and you can use it to lure them to your table. Seriously. I dared author Beth Wylde to leave a trail of candy on the floor from the really cute guy in the sleek steampunk tux to our table, and he followed it like a charm!


If you agree to do panels for the convention, try to limit yourself to fewer than ten. Ten panels is a lot of work. A helluva lot of work. I know. From experience.


There are things you can do with tentacles that you probably don't want to know about. Again, I know from experience.


Sometimes less is more, as in costumes, but always remember that no costume is no costume.


If you throw on a plaid school girl skirt and a set of horns, everyone will automatically assume you are a wicked woman out to cause trouble. Not that the assumptions bothered me, or was untrue...


You can mainline coffee. If you agree to do ten panels at a convention, I would certainly recommend you try it.


John Ringo is very opinionated, and very interesting to listen to one the subject of e-books and digital rights management.


Ron Miller is the coolest person on the world to do a panel with, and he knows all sorts of nifty free and shareware graphics programs that I must now find and download.


You can do all seven Harry Potter books on stage in 45 minutes. Luna-C Productions' show was hysterical!


If you do an adult reading, prepare a piece that is not what people are expecting. Explicit sex scenes are fine, but humor and bad jokes goes over even better.


When I'm a little more coherent, I'll write a little bit more about this, but for now, you can enjoy a few choice pics of the con over at my Flickr page. Oh, and one last thing I learned... if you stick it out there, you will get flogged!

No comments:

The Write Threesome ©Template Blogger Green by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO