Monday, January 5, 2009

She Reads Erotica

I knew this all along, but one of my podcasting role models, Mur Lafferty, has put an article up on Suicide Girls (where she has a monthly column) about what's on her Kindle ebook reader. She raises an interesting question:
Should I own my interest in the books where the secretary is tied up as a Christmas present for her boss? Should I confidently hand over the Kindle when someone asks, with a, "you asked for it!" look on my face? Or should I continue to pretend to be a productive member of Puritan society?
This has meaning for me on many levels. Like much of Mur's writing, it's posted in a humorous tone, but once you've gotten accustomed to the idea, it starts to get deeper.

One thing is that the answer ought to be, "Yes! Yes, own up to it, the only way we can knock down the walls of false propriety that the Puritans put up is if ordinary folks admit to reading erotica."

And then I realize that by using a pseudonym, and not owning up to writing erotica to anyone who asks, I'm doing the same thing as when Mur 'straightens up' her Kindle before handing it to her daughter's best friend's father.

So what's the answer? I don't know. I think there are good reasons for keeping sex in its place, but at the same time it's place isn't in the tiny little ironclad box some people want to keep it in. Society will keep looking down its collective nose at erotica as long as people hide it, and people will hide it as long as Society keeps looking down its collective nose. Change, if it happens at all, will come slowly.

And then, someday, Mur Lafferty will hand her Kindle to any adult who asks to see it with that shit-eating grin she gets, and I will proudly put my given name on the covers of my books.

Someday.

No comments:

The Write Threesome ©Template Blogger Green by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO