Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Beginnings, Part II

I suck at beginnings. Nobilis is editing my novel, and he always has something to say about the first few paragraphs. It never fails. It's gotten to the point now where I ask up front, "Okay, what's wrong with the first paragraph?"

Unlike Nobilis, I have no problem finishing things. I just can't seem to start them, which is why my first paragraphs suck. I don't want to write them. Once in motion, I'm fine, but it's the getting started part that's the problem.

However, this seems to have gotten started well ahead of me, so I'm going to hop aboard at this point, and use as my excuse for making it short that I have to do a bit of advance planning for our next podcast.

Yes, there is a plan.

Yes, I'm going to make it.

Yes, I'm going to procrastinate as long as I possibly can, because I hate starting things.

However, knowing this about myself is often all I need. It's helpful that my writing space is insanely comfortable, complete with a fleece blanket to ward off the Midwestern winter chill. Did you know that it's been colder here lately than it's been at the South Pole? I'm not kidding! I checked. Australia's looking pretty good right now.

But there's something wonderful about bundling up against the chill, and that brings me to my point. Often the kindest thing we can do for ourselves is to know and love our weaknesses. Procrastination is one of mine. I know this, so I set up this warm, snug spot to work in, where cups of tea can be placed within easy reach, and I use a program that creates a more attractive screen than a standard word processor. I may not like starting a new project, but I do like sitting here, and since I'm here, I might as well work. It gives me a good excuse to stay put.

cheers,
Ann

No comments:

The Write Threesome ©Template Blogger Green by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO